Blogs and podcasts should be all about the conversation. But in life I’ve found it’s best to have a few ground rules. Otherwse, conversations can turn into a shouting matchs that discourage participation and defeat the whole purpose.
So by posting on my blog/web site, you agree to the following:
- You may comment without registering. You can log-in via Disqus or not at all. It’s up to you.
- You may post anonymously. I don’t recommend this, but you may do so if you wish. I may change this rule at any time if it is abused or I believe it’s in the best interest of the larger community to do so.
- You may post follow-up questions. If you have a question, others are likely to have the same. Therefore, I would rather receive your comments on my blog than via email, so that everyone can respond and see responses.
- You can disagree with me. I don’t have the illusion that I’m always right. However, I ask that if you disagree with me, or anyone else for that matter, do so respectfully. My commitment is to both post and respond in a way that repects your viewpoint.
- I reserve the right to delete your comments. This is my blog. I don’t have an obligation to publish your comments. The First Amendment gives you the right to express your opinions on your blog not mine.Specifically, I will delete your comments at my sole discretion if you post something that is in my sole opinion, (a) snarky; (b) off-topic; (c) libelous, defamatory, abusive, harassing, threatening, profane, pornographic, offensive, false, misleading, or which otherwise violates or encourages others to violate my sense of decorum and civility or any law, including intellectual property laws; or (d) “spam,” i.e., an attempt to advertise, solicit, or otherwise promote goods and services. You may, however, post a link to your site or your most recent blog post.
- You retain ownership of your comments. I do not own them and I expressly disclaim any and all liability that may result from them. By commenting on my site, you agree that you retain all ownership rights in what you post here and that you will relieve me from any and all liability that may result from those postings.
- You grant me a license to post your comments. This license is worldwide, irrevocable, non-exclusive, and royalty-free. You grant me the right to store, use, transmit, display, publish, reproduce, and distribute your comments in any format, including but not limited to a blog, in a book, a video, or presentation.
In short, my goal is to host interesting conversations with caring, honest, and respectful people. I believe this simple comments policy will facilitate this.
This policy was derived from the one used by Michael Hyatt at http://michaelhyatt.com/permissions/my-comments-policy